The Most Important Marketing Skill | #1 Marketing Skill
Which is the most important Marketing skill you will ever learn?
You guessed it wrong! No, it’s not the Facebook ads nor the Google ads or even the SEO.
“ You need to learn copywriting. Platforms and markets will come and go but if you can write a good copy and craft a good offer you’ll probably always stay in the business” – Ryan Deiss ( Founder at Digitalmarketer.com)
Be it the Social ads, email campaign, conversion landing page, video sales letters, etc.
You name it! Everything around you is copy.
If you’re a marketer that hasn’t studied things like a direct response or haven’t studied the art of marketing in words
You would think that the web is video media. That’s true. There are more minutes of video consumed than anything else.
But the thing is words drive those videos in no small degree unless you’re doing some exceptionally well-produced things where the visuals are speaking.
So, what is copywriting? Why it is most importamt marketing skill?
The traditional definition would be ‘salesmanship in print’
If you think back on the history of capitalism in the United States, Benjamin Franklin was one of the first copywriters.
Copywriting is the mechanism where the words you use to describe things channel the right emotions that move people you want to move.
Generally speaking, you can break that down into two buckets.
Am I removing a painful problem or fulfilling an essential desire
If you’re not doing one of those two things you’re probably a commodity and that’s why you’re competing on price, distribution or maybe using big names or big brands
So copywriting allows the little guy to compete with the big guy if the research is done well and the copy and the words are assembled powerfully.
The thing about copywriting is that it’s everywhere be the voice track on a movie trailer or a political speech, or you could argue even political debates.
The level of preparation that they do, the zingers they prepare all of that they work with are copywriters creating magic.
So how to learn this high-income skill?
There are plenty of junk courses available online sold by the so-called ‘marketing gurus’
You don’t have to waste both your money and time on such filth.
Learn from the legends of the game whose principles have stood through the test of time
Here are the top five books that get you started in copywriting
1.The copywriting Handbook by Joseph Sugarman : Joseph Sugarman is a legendary copywriter who started a mail-order business, JS&A Group, through the power of his pen. He’s also the author of The Adweek Copywriting Handbook.
2.Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman : This book will serve you as a ready Copywriting manual.
3.Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz : Eugene is considered as the pioneer of direct response marketing.
4.Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy : David Mackenzie Ogilvy CBE was a British advertising tycoon, founder of Ogilvy &Mather, and is known as the “Father of Advertising.”
5.The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert : Gary Halbert is perhaps the G.O.A.T. of copywriting. He’s had more multi-million dollar winning campaigns in different niches than any other copywriter — living or dead. And his copywriting book the Boron Letters happens to be one of the best books ever written on the topic.
Here are some of the free resources that can help you with copywriting (Most Important Marketing Skill)
- Swiped, Best Copywriting Inspiration→ https://swiped.co/
- Marketing Examples on Copywriting→ https://marketingexamples.com/copywriting
- Stripe Atlas Guide on Copywriting for Landing Pages→ https://stripe.com/en-in/atlas/guides/landing-page-copy
- Copywriting For Geeks→ https://sixteenventures.com/video-interview-copywriting-for-geeks-author-marc-andre-cournoyer
- Nathan Barry Step By Step Landing Page Copywriting→ https://nathanbarry.com/step-by-step-landing-page-copywriting/
- Joanna Wiebe Old School Copywriting for New School Businesses→ https://www.slideshare.net/marklittlewood/joanna-wiebe-old-school-copywriting-for-new-school-businesses
- How to be a successful copywriter: from a man who’s written Million Dollar Emails→ https://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/blog/how-to-be-a-successful-copywriter/
- Patio11 Tweets on Copywriting→ https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Apatio11%20copywriting&src=typed_query
- Free Copywriting Course by Kopywriting→ https://kopywritingkourse.com/free-copywriting-course/
- Twitter Thread by @antdke→ https://twitter.com/antdke/status/1263130017598406657